Monday 1 November 2010

Bruised again

Like many men, I tend to be rather passive with my ailments and injuries, so I duly did nothing when my nail got badly bruised in a pick-up game of football in the summer.

It wasn't the first time round my foot had suffered some inconveniece in the heat of competition. In fact, a few years ago, at Easter in my hometown, I said yes to joining my friends' team as a guest player. It was a tough, 11-a-side, no-hostages-taken battle in a local league from which I walked away one toe nail lighter. The immediate culprit were too small cleats, but it was really my childlike inability to call it quits halfway through the competition or even sooner and my dogged determination not to let my mates down that were to blame. It cost me my nail (no worries, it regrew) and a few weeks of discomfort that this bruised toe kept giving me when running, walking or, indeed, sleeping.

So, here I am again, waiting for the bruise to heal and the nail to fall off. Luckily, there is no regrowing limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment