Sunday 20 September 2009

Long time, no post

It was a busy fortnight and basically without access to a computer. First, equipped in a newly-made presentation, I flew to Stockholm, looking and feeling heavenly in the mild late summer sun, for the Metaphor Festival. As most language conferences, it was an inspiring blend of good and band, exciting and boring, new and old, but it did give me a spur and some food for thought. I enjoyed meeting professor Andrew Goatly in person, a modest man plagued with doubts about the direction of his efforts as any other researcher, even of vastly lower standing.

I loved the social side of the conference too.

And then, having barely touched down from Sweden, I was off to Turkey for a weekly holiday in the sun with my girlfriend. I don't remember unwinding so thoroughly in quite some time, just taking a swim, sunning oneself to madness, gobbling up tons of exquisite food, learning Turkish from the locals and charting the neighbourhood of the hotel. A hell of an end for my long, eventful summer holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment