Saturday 31 October 2009

Bird migration

Autumns may well be my favourite season for their buzz and variety. Part of its appeal comes from a sharp increase in my activity as the teaching time starts at schools and I keep living high on adrenaline for most of colder months and with the arrival of the spring everyhing seems to quiten down for me in anticipation of rather uneventful summers when I need to think harder to stay busy and focused. Importantly, the October revival quickly reaches my finances and it's during the autumn when the lion's share of my yearly income gets generated. But money isn't all there is to leave-dropping months.

What I relish in is the variety of nature they bring along. The carnival of autumn colours has probably no match the year over and its intensity is overwhelming in Poland where seasons tend to differ greatly. I know this sounds soppy, but in the unforgiving cityscape I chose to settle down in, it breathes a taste of spirituality and metaphysics to observe the little that remains of nature here succumb to its everlasting cycles and change so violently in plain view.

Or to see a flock of brids migrate to their wintering sites in sunnier, southern regions. It's hard to say why, but a sight of birds in V formation, flying in amazing order and with logic-defying precision, makes me pause and wonder. The rare sound of a flock of migrating cranes or storks chattering high in the air never fails to leave me bewildered.

No comments:

Post a Comment