Friday 7 October 2011

Summer's gone: Top five concerts

It's childish I know, but who cares, I'm going to rank my favorite summer 2011 concerts.

1. Fleet Foxes / Malta / they were the best summer 2011 concert before they even walked onto the stage at Poznań's Malta lake, not very fair, but this is what you get if your music's so refreshing,
2. Low / OFF / every single sound in its place, enormous willingness to play for the audience, even beyond their contractual time, which the organizers said no to,
3. Mogwai / OFF / I was on my way to the tent, dog tired, but they kept me listening till their closing riffs. They were in much better shape than two or three years ago in Mysłowice.
4. Destroyer / OFF / A revelation, a band I didn't know a thing about, but their mellow, big-band, luxury cruise kind of melodies swept me off my feet, great lead singer who seemed to be getting increasingly drunk as the concert progressed.
5. Yemen Blues / EthnoPort / A rocket of a frontman and some classy mix of world music rooted in the Middle East

I'd also mention Seabear as a totally memorable concert this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment