Tuesday 9 February 2010

Pick-up art for girls

I wonder if pick-up art has ever been taken seriously in Poland and if there are any local flirting experts. Codified by Neil Strauss in his memoir The Game, the whole idea of intense training to hone men's seduction skills seemed ridiculous when I first came across it two years ago or so, until I discovered, watching him being interviewed on TV shows the world over, that there is more than just a drive to bed women to it. As Straus presented it, he postulated a complete overhaul of living habits, including the dress code and revision of life plans, to make men more confident and forward-looking, and as a consequence more appealing to women. These ideals have degenerated at the hands of testosterone-ehxuding types who smelled an easy weapon they could use to pull girls, but what pick-up art does to bashful boys, lending them tools to reach out of their shyness, deserves to be commended. I've never been a bargoer and I've never had the opportunity to practice pick-up art, not least because I find it rather artificial in its techniques and because I've never reached the degree of desperation which could propel me to test it, but it was quite entertaining to research it.

I was taken aback to learn that flirt schools had started to offer their services to the fairer sex. It was difficult for me to visualize girls prowling around bars and throwing cringeworthy lines at eligible bachlors. The surprise factor lessened when it turned out that the core of the female pick-up art is not just pulling a large number of men, but working on techniques that strengthen some unique, individual vibe that can prove useful as much in seduction as in their careers or family life. With this kind of broad agenda, there's no wonder the seduction teach-ins sell out in a matter of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment