Monday 10 August 2009

Back to Press

It's hard for me to explain why I suddenly stopped following the press in English. For years I'd been a devoted reader of dailies, weeklies, monthlies, think-tank pamphlets, anything I came across that originated in the Anglo-Saxon world. I suppose my disinterest is rooted in a gradual turn from the newspaper knowledge towards literature and science that I have been undergoing. Also, it seems to me I'm becoming more and more introverted and I don't find it attractive any more to chase the news and commentary, which tend to be so fleeting.

But I probably overreacted and it's time, for many reasons, to come back to regular readings in English, with extra distance gained by recent self-imposed restrictions.

For a start, I read a piece in Newsweek on the decline of the British power, which makes me think of my student times when I was totally engrossed by such articles, and a remarkable private investigation one Newsweek journalist went on to discover his dad's drug-smuggling past.

No comments:

Post a Comment