Tuesday 25 August 2009

Strains of Being a Teacher

I'm lucky not to work as a teacher in Polish public schools, where lack of respect and misbehaviour are commonplace. It seems, though, that teaching youngsters is difficult not only in Poland and dilemmas in this forgotten profession reach destinations far richer and far more developed. It may well be that the wealthier the nation gets, and the more liberal in its everyday ways, the harder it is to bring up and educate its youth, so used to abundance and freedom. There's a good article on a young graduate's experiences in one Teach First secondary school in London, published in The Times. I find her curiousity and her will to learn the tough side of working as a teacher admirable, but I know it for sure now, having been through teaching incidents of my own, that I'm not cut out for this type of contact and taming overeager youngsters isn't exactly my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment